Wednesday, December 26, 2018

A Very Delayed Posting of Update 1.2.5


Up date, mid-week 2 (probably 6, November, 2018):

So far, it has been a good week, but lots of work from the whole team. We are all pretty tired. We had two big surgeries – one on Monday and Tuesday. Our little patients seem to be doing well, but please pray for them – they have gone through a lot! And pray for us – it is a lot of work and stressful for planning. I’m especially feeling added pressure of new responsibilities and so much learning! The tiredness is understandable, but I would appreciate your prayers. 

(Update from a month & a half later - it took a while, but our baby was finally deemed well enough to go to the Hope Center with her momma in the middle of December! It was a long time to be in the hospital, but the prognosis is good now and she can grow up normally. Also, we all got to snuggle her for a long time. No pictures, but one evening during rounds, she just fell asleep on my shoulder in about 20 seconds. She reminds me of my niece, Pinkie.) 

This is not the patient I was talking about, but she has the same fun & enthusiastic spirit.
Also, who doesn't like a happy baby photo?!
*a photo from Mercy Ships Guinea 2018 archives


As an OR Nurse Team Leader, I get to visit with my patient the night before surgery (evening rounds). This is mainly to make sure all the paperwork is in order and they will be ready for surgery the next day. I also help the surgeons getting the consents for surgery right and a few other things (that I have not quite figured out yet!). Monday night, I met one charming little guy – he was showing me his drawing and wanting whatever I had or anybody else had – typical toddler. Tuesday afternoon, my translator and I were able to “bribe” him into not crying for his dad and coming with us by letting him keep his toys. Then, we exchanged them for his anesthetic oxygen mask swabbed with a little bubble gum flavor. Tuesday evening after surgery, he was up playing with his dad on his bed – so great to see!

I mentioned our translator – we have several translators in the OR and then lots spread throughout the hospital. We have had a couple of days where we thought our translators might not be able to make it onto the ship (they are day-workers, so as native Guineans, they live in town). If that had happened, our surgical cases would have to be delayed or even cancelled. They are invaluable!

An old photo, but here are our translators & me from Benin in 2016


There are so many languages spoken here in Guinea. French is the official language, but it is usually taught in school, so many of our patients speak their own languages. Some I can think of (and spell!) are Fullah & Susu. Each translator has his or her own language strengths, so we have to make sure we ask the right person to come to the ward to pick up our patients. They are all wonderful. Today, one sang to our baby girl patient and another played keep-away with the anesthesia mask – it makes it pretty irresistible to those little kids when they can’t have it!

One of our ward translators & a baby recovering from cleft lip/palate surgery
*a photo from Mercy Ships Guinea 2018 archives


Again, this is where I’ll end. Thank you all so much for praying for and supporting me! 
Much love,
Amaanda
PS: A disclaimer: Although I am currently serving with Mercy Ships, everything communicated here strictly reflects my personal opinions and is neither reviewed nor endorsed by Mercy Ships. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of Mercy Ships. ~ Amaanda

PSS: Wednesday night – I was just down in A Ward getting ready for tomorrow and all our patients are up an practically running around. God is so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment